Upon Your Arrival in Toronto

It is mandatory that you apply for a Social Insurance Number upon your arrival in Canada. Without this, we will be unable to process your salary and benefits. The SIN is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits.

  • Upon your arrival from another country, you should immediately apply at Service Canada for your Social Insurance Number.
  • Please be sure to have your passport with your work permit and letter of offer (the documents must be originals).

Once you receive proof of your SIN, you must submit the information to Senior Financial Officer Christine Bulguryemez.

The Provincial Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) provides for treatment and care in Ontario hospitals, standard ward accommodation and doctor visits. An Ontario health premium cost is part of the calculation of your income tax withheld in each monthly pay. On your arrival from another country or province, you must immediately apply at the nearest OHIP office. There will be a 3-month waiting period from the date of your work permit (non-resident) or from the date you applied for OHIP if you are a Canadian Citizen. You will purchase the University Health Insurance Program to cover you and your family during the 3-month waiting period (see below).

For detailed information about OHIP eligibility, including the enrollment of family members, visit the OHIP website.

When contacting the OHIP office, you will need to provide one document from each of the following lists:

Examples of Proof of Citizenship/Eligible Status

  1. Documentation (e.g. letter of offer) confirming full-time employment in Ontario
  2. Birth certificate from a Canadian province or
  3. Valid Canadian passport or
  4. Work permit

Examples of Proof of Residency

  1. Housing insurance policy, or lease agreement, or utility bill
  2. Ontario driver’s license, or
  3. Monthly mailed bank account statements
  4. Letter of employment with an original signature (ask Katrina Mintis to provide this document)

Examples of Support of Identity

  1. Certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  2. Credit card, or
  3. Passport

While serving the 3-month waiting period for OHIP, it is mandatory that you apply for UHIP. This is a program comparable to OHIP for you and your dependents. For complete details of this health plan, please refer to the UHIP website.

For your convenience, the University has arranged for comprehensive and highly personalized banking services to be made available to new faculty on an optional basis through the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), Main Branch Commerce Court West. The features of this service include:

  • Opening bank accounts prior to your arrival in Toronto
  • Transfer of funds from outside the country and conversion to Canadian currency
  • Access to electronic banking
  • Mortgage assistance
  • Competitive loan rates for personal and new car loans
  • Visa Credit Card applications (subject to approval) and debit cards

Newly appointed faculty can take advantage of this arrangement with the CIBC Main Branch Commerce Court West, 199 Bay St. by contacting our CIBC Senior Financial Rep. at 416-980-7777 ext. 254

Please note: the above program is optional. Faculty members may choose to bank with the financial institution of their choice.

To open a bank account, you may be required to provide the following documentation:

  • Passport
  • Work permit
  • Letter of offer
  • Proof of residency
  • An identification card showing your signature

Childcare should be arranged in advance of your arrival and as soon as you accept an offer. For information on child care options, please contact the Family Care Office.

The University also offers a Child Care Benefit Plan for eligible employees. Learn more about benefits at U of T or contact the U of T Benefits HELP Line.